Bowlin Funeral Home is continuing a family tradition of service. It began in a little community called Jewel, east of Dresden, in 1915. Jim and Press Bowlin organized the firm of Bowlin Brothers and moved to Dresden in 1918, setting up shop on the corner of Main and Wilson Streets. They became partners with Winstead and Jones in the mid-1920s, then naming the firm Winstead-Jones and Bowlin Bros. In 1938, the firm was re-organized with Jim Bowlin and son S.T., who continued to operate in Dresden with M.F. Riggs as their partner, but now under the name of Bowlin & Riggs Mortuary.
Getting Our Start
In June of 1959, S.T. and Edith Edwards Bowlin purchased M.F. Riggs' interest in the firm. Since that time, the firm has operated under the name of Bowlin Funeral Home. Jimmy Bowlin Dilday, grandson of the late Jim Bowlin, began work with the firm in 1959. 1968 was the 50th anniversary of our business in Dresden. At that time, we moved into a new funeral home at 279 W Main Street. We felt we could continue to provide greater service while still maintaining the high standards that were initiated by our founders, Jim and Press Bowlin.
In February 1974, Jimmy Bowlin Dilday became a partner in Bowlin Funeral Home, with S.T. Bowlin and his wife, Edith Edwards Bowlin, with the new name of Bowlin Funeral Home, Inc. In April 1977, Jimmy Bowlin Dilday became sole owner of Bowlin Funeral Home, and continues to operate at the same location.
Bowlin Funeral Home's goal has been aimed at maintaining our tradition of sincere personal attention to a family's need and feelings in time of sorrow. Our competent, well-trained, and licensed personnel are always ready to serve with sympathy and understanding. We offer complete funeral services, at need, pre-need, and pre-funded funerals.